I am depressed. The holidays can do that for you except in this particular instance I think the holidays have actually helped prevent me from being more depressed. Good times were had with friends and that helped lift my gloomy mood. The year just ended was a bummer for more than just me. I have cautious hopes for 2010 but January can be a real downer so I am working on a game plan to help.
This list of ten words that have been missing from my life lately came about on my gift of a totally private blog where I can journal privately and rant and rave. It seemed rather too good to not share.
- Light. Sunshine where possible but actually turning on some of those low energy bulbs and making it not so dark before dawn.
- Warmth. Turn a heater or two on now and then to bring up the temperature. Especially in the bedroom and the mornings on the computer. I have cut my kilowatt per day usage over last winter by 1/3rd and that has made only 7 cents savings.
- De-clutter. I have been living in this little circle of light surrounded by mess and covered over with blankets. No room to move. All cornered in literally and emotionally.
- Positive plan for January and the year ahead. This would be a good time to really explore subject matter in paintings. I have the canvas and the paints and just need to buy stretcher bars though I have quite a lot at the moment. So I need to entertain myself cheaply but still have projects to do. Creative de-cluttering would be another thing to put on the schedule.
- Finances. Allow myself to "waste" on a special little gift to self from time to time. Come up with aggressive self-promotion plan to increase sales and earnings in my studio. Delete the word budget as it is very depressing.
- Escape. Plan day trip out of valley and away from everything by myself (dependent upon weather and workability of vehicle).
- Exercise. Some bit of it daily and three days a week longer workout. Get Yoga back at least once a week. Endorphins is a good why to improve ones mood.
- Diet. Don't want to quit that though I realize it does cause stress. But being overweight is not helping mood either. So will continue to strive to lose weight but not beat myself up over not losing fast enough.
- Think positive. Affirmations all around have worked in past. Reinstate this practice.
- Play. Whether it is games on the computer or non-sense in the studio or a lunch out with friends
Do you suffer from winter or holiday depressions? What works for you?